Monday, July 30, 2007

50 @ 48



Forty-eight years old and 215 pounds later, I decided to hop on my Diamondback Wildwood 21 speed Sunday morning and challenge myself to do something I had never done on 2 wheels-- ride for fifty miles! Temps at my 740 a.m. launch were in the mid-50s and winds were calm, perfect for the ride. I packed a couple of snack bars and 32 ounces of ice water, tune my radio to K-LOVE to pipe in the worship tunes, adjust my padded shorts to the padded seat, and head out.

Needless to say, when you live in a metropolitan area, there
is no simple 'out and back' route, so you just have to create your own path. I headed west 9 miles on a gradual, but definite incline as it has always provided some interesting scenery. Most recently it was road kill---a rattle snake and a mule deer buck. Today, nothing interesting. Forty minutes to reach the first turn around point, but the beauty is only eighteen minutes to get back--like I said, definite uphill outbound trek. At the 20 mile mark, a quick pit stop under a shade tree for some water and a snack bar.

Off to the east for about 5 miles, then return back
another 5 and now 60% of the journey is complete.The next 10 miles is on a northwest track, mostly downhill which means the final 10 will be the undesirable uphill final. At the 40 mile mark, I find a bench along side a cool pond and check in with Teri to let her know I still have a pulse and now begin the final 1/5 of the challenge.

The first part of the final segment is the gradual stuff - tolerable. But, at the 45 mile point, 'the hill' stares me down. With this verse recycling itself in my head as my groin was in a tug of war with my hamstrings, we set the gears to 1/1 and head on up--accomplished. The second rise awaits me one mile later and is even more difficult, but I stare straight down at the sidewalk and reach the pinnacle to find another cycling couple parked under a shade tree recovering and drinking a beverage, so I join them. I point the bike West and head home with one, long gradual hill to climb, but at this point, it feels like Mt. Everest---mission accomplished.

I arrive home four hours and three minutes of life behind me and stare down at the bike-o-meter to see an extra six-tenths of a mile--oh what I wouldn't have given to have had those pedal revolutions back! Using this tool, this aging body expelled 3,159 calories on this Sunday morning adventure, just 7% less than my completed marathon back in 2004, without near the physical consequences-- hallelujah! The joy of replacing those calories is always the most enjoyable part of these exercise challenges.

While the cycling world calls this accomplishment
a 'half-century', I personally call it a 'prostate exam'... Til next time.....