Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Personal Record....


Amidst the Olympics and all the heart-warming stories, I thought I would share one of my own achievements. I am now ONE POUND away from my all time weight record, as in body mass, not weight lifting. I think that qualifies me for a silver medal!

I weighed 221 lbs. in late 2003 when I began my marathon training and got down to 195 lbs by race day Valentines 2004. Actually, I got deathly ill with an untreated sinus infection so was down to 184 at my Dr.s visit in April. So, what began the demise? I think it was depression--the onset when I was told at the marathon that at my weight I qualified for the "Clydesdale" division, the highest category, in terms of race day weight. Well, why didn't they just put me in the "Runners Who Create Their Own Pot Holes" category. Instead of gel snacks, protein bars and shoe laces in my race day goodie bag, perhaps some inner thigh lubricant and my own personal CPR guide would have sufficed. Being called a Clydesdale has made it so tough to watch Super Bowls and all of those Budweiser commercials. Perhaps I just need to trade our lab mix in for a Dalmatian and I will be all set.

So, moving forward. Is there such thing as reverse-Bulimia or contra-Anorexia. You know--you look in the mirror and you are convinced you are NOT overweight. Instead of heading to the toilet to hurl, you head to the fridge to fry you up a burrito. I mean there is a diagnosis for everything else in this world, so I have to be on to something here.

What is the true gauge? Go try a BMI (body mass index) calculator like this one and see what your results are. Once again, I earn the Silver medal as I am in the Overweight category. A couple more bowls of ice cream and the Gold is mine as I would be Obese. At 6ft 2", my high normal weight should be around 195 lbs. Forget that. Holy cow (no pun intended), what would I weigh if I didn't work out?

So, the creative side of my brain has a solution. Using the same BMI calculator and plugging in 220 lbs, to be 'normal weight', I need to be 6ft 7" tall. I now have a goal to add 5 vertical inches by December 31st.

Off to Google to find me a plan....