Monday, August 28, 2006

A NEW ADULT IN THE HOUSE!


This week, Cameron celebrated number 18-- 18 years of living, and that he has done! A brief visit with a trumpet, a temporary passion for golf, an interest in audio/video production and now a permanent passion to become a professional pilot, have all been apart of his teen years.

The last couple of weeks, he has been out on assignment, house sitting that is, so away from Sweetbriar Cottage. But, he did stop by on his eighteenth birthday. You can rightfully conclude the motivation for his appearance.

As I arrived home, I was greeted by my wife in the kitchen. When I asked about his whereabouts, she informed me he was in his basement bedroom with a gift he bought himself for his own birthday. The self-purchase act itself verifies his arrvial to manhood. She reluctantly refused to elaborate on his purchase, unlike her.

I was befuddled wondering what our adventerous child, excuse me, adult, had acquired for himself. I could only ponder and did delay my descent to his location. Visions of what I DID NOT want to see consumed my thoughts. Such things included a subscription to "Modern Groom" magazine, any packaging with Gerber on it, the Free Apartment Guide (I enjoy his company), etc. What I discovered was equally disconcerting, or would be perceived as such, by most parents. Unboxed before my eyes was a brand new Savage high powered rifle, quite a nice specimen for one's first purchase. Hummm...I haven't seen any insurgents in the neighborhood recently. A bit more fire power than we need for the average tree squirrell. It seems like our early day hunting trips in South Texas created the passion to hunt, so he is now set!

He took it out with a buddy on Sunday to check out the recoil power--30 rounds later and a sore shoulder to boot, he was set---4 rounds into the Osa Bin Laden target to finish up his firing day!

Til next time....