Monday, September 03, 2007

OUTBOUND- Rural

One of the blessings of our particular home is its proximity to a rural feel--literally, five minutes west of here you are in pretty much undeveloped areas with a great view of the high country. Hop on and come take a look as the first half of the Labor Day ride heads westward!



The machine--Raleigh Diamondback hybrid (off road/on road) which just celebrated its 1,500th mile, which means my legs just did the same. Two essential pieces of gear that always go with me are the padded shorts and the bugcatchers (sunglasses). Teri always reminds me to take my cell phone (so I can call her if my bike fails me) and my wallet (so the paramedics can identify me when my body fails me). We are off.....



The rear view mirror-- important to see the Mack truck as it impales its bumper into my rear...more importantly, my Power Rangers bell, a gift from Austin several years ago. My bike mechanic even commented when I had it at the shop a couple weeks ago-- "nice bell"...yeah, I puffed my chest out when I heard that...



This is where having the cool, manly Power Rangers bell pays off...pedestrians along our favorite bike trail that I am coming up on are alerted 50 feet before I get to them...it beats me pulling right along side them as there is a tendency for walkers to jump the wrong way---like in my path-- and I am not fond of the headline "Cyclist kills grandma pedestrian"...



God's beauty as I hit the main road...



My own lane! Colorado is such a cycling state, this is a fairly common site...



Danger lurks! Bike lane ends, converts to 'skinny butt' lane where you are authorized only to ride on the right side of the stripe.....



There is always something holding me back :)...foothills in the distant background, my outbound destination....



Pity the fool--jogger headed toward me in, but foothills getting closer....from the house to the turnaround point, 100% gradual climb...



The hazards of cycling in Colorado :) ..billboard "75 tigers are running free on the grasslands of COLORADO"....



"I think I can, I think I can...."



"Hey, I am back here...in the tall grass, legs up in the air...my ID is in my wallet...."



As you can see, the foothills are right there! Arrival..time to turn around and return to the metro area as further west the "skinny butt" lane turns to "single cheek"- I do not qualify.....