Monday, January 21, 2008

Arghhh....


Yup, absolutely BREAKING news, as in our cars keep BREAKING! Two weeks ago as she was driving her Maria Andretti speed of 30mph, Teri had her 2001 VW Passat Turbo go kerplunk on her which included the ever dreaded "I heard something rattle in the engine kind of noise". So, she called her two sons, both who were oblivious to the ringing of their phones and both who had cars and could of come and rescued her. To no avail. I then had to leave my work for a one hour round trip and get her home and then arrange for a tow to take it to the shop. Simple diagnosis--a broken timing belt at 71,000 miles. Yes, a car that required it inspected (which we did) at 60K and no replacement until 105K, snapped!

My mechanic then told me to call both VW Corp and the VW dealership since it seems this is a well known problem that VW has failed to issue a recall for. Lo and behold, Audi (the exact same car with different decals) lost a class action suit for the very same problem. The VW dealership mechanic stated it 'broke', meaning it was defective vs. wear and tear. I have never heard such a soothing, calm voice tell someone (that someone would be me) "sir, the damage estimate is $6,412.00" --you got it, a $50 rubber belt snapping resulted in some broken valves and who know what else.

VW Corp told me they would contact the local dealership by last Monday to see if they could be of assistance. As of today, they have yet to contact them. I guess they know they have a problem. Based upon my Google research, I have mixed feelings whether they will come to an acceptable resolution or not.

So, in the interim, we know only one thing-- our VW is history as we are going to sell it once it gets repaired and NO WAY (unless VW pays for it all) is the dealership repairing it. It seems their labor shop rate is $150 per hour. Are the flipping mechanics living in the same subdivisions as the brain surgeons??

If you go here , you will see what many other owners think of this car. The only satisfaction of this whole ordeal is I have renamed the Passat to a Piece of Saat...

We will keep you posted...