Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Man Toy



You know, there is a small list of mens' "must haves"-- not a question of why they need something, just a matter of when they will acquire it. It falls along the lines of tools, some kinds of sporting gear, techie-gadgets, electric razors, radar detectors, etc. My acquisition was last week--a stinking air compressor! There are just a few items that are on the "I will never regret that purchase" list, and a Craftsman air compressor is one of those items.

For the life of me, I can't find bike tubes that stay fully aired in between rides. So, here I was with my 12 volt, car compressor having to air before each ride, and that was a pain. The best thing that happened was Teri shorting it out a couple weeks ago and, although I could have fixed it, it immediately found the trash can. Of course, when you have no air source, you know what is going to happen next--yup, blew my cycle tire on a ride about 10 days ago. The time was NOW to purchase this intro-compressor! Not only was their bike issues, but it seems like one of our car tires is always low. My truck alone has been to Discount Tires 3x this year for bead leaks.

I initially did have my regrets though when it took me 4 minutes to add 2 lbs. of air to one of Teri's tires. Heck, if I would have had the right connection, I could have farted faster. So, in disgust I went down to Sears with the presumption that my dual tire chuck
had failed me. So, they handed me a traditional helmet-styled air chuck and I arrived home. WOLAH, that sucker works great now. It also has a blower accessory, so we have now blown out my truck air filter, the vacuum cleaner (now that was a mess!), the garage floor and the cars' carpets!

There was one hesitation--a New Year's resolution "not to buy anything new, unless it was replacing an item". While I would have saved a lot more by getting another 12V car compressor, I had the desire to beef up the purchase and can still, in my mind, justifying it not violating the New Year commitment.

Oh, and for the "I must find the best deal" bone in me...ordered on line, shipped to store, included 17 piece accessory kit and, of course, taxes--TOTAL: $97.00, about 33% off usual store price. YES!

No regrets....