Thursday, October 09, 2008

Tonight's Delicacy


Yes, I rolled out the Sportsman's Menu. I have had some recent outdoor success and wanted to share the bounty with my wife. The main entree was a fish sandwich which I reeled in from nearby Standley Lake late Summer. I think the limit was a dozen, so I stopped fishing at that point. To my surprise, they were square-shaped, but that worked out just fine.

The side dish were buffalo fries. Now that story was a bit more adventurous as Sarah Palin phoned a few weeks ago when she was in town for a rally and wanted me to be her hunting guide as she had never harvested a bison. I told her I knew of a place but it was protected as it was a nature preserve. Well, Sarah being SLIGHTLY rebellious, insisted I act as a 'lookout' for the authorities while she zeroed in--bang! Check out her success. Long story short (it's probably too late), we took the buffalo in for processing. While I was busy in the restroom, Sarah instructed the butcher, Mr. Kroger, she wanted all steaks and I wanted only potatoes. I was just grateful he put them in a sealable bag. Teri passed on the taters, said they tasted 'gamey'.

Have you noticed the sammich theme? You have probably concluded my culinary skills are limited, but you are mistaken. This is all strategy. I usually roll out caviar on my nights to cook and have known to whip up some steak tartar (merely a fancy name for road kill--think about it), but I have to temper my menu as mother-in-law is arriving in a few days. I wanted to show my compassionate side and did not want her to feel intimidated by my kitchen competence. I am all about building up her esteem as undoubtedly her BBQ brisket and homemade enchiladas will put my menu to shame, all intended. Five days and counting...

Inspired by a true story....